[Gendergap] High-heeled shoes as a case study

Chris Keating chriskeatingwiki at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 09:05:31 UTC 2011

> The number of images in Category:High-heeled shoes is higher than most
> categories about footwear. Approximately one- third of the images are of
> full body shots of attractive females who are wearing high heeled shoes, and
> a significant number of them are nude or posed in sexually provocative
> positions.

Hmm, yes, it's very different from all the other categories about
types of shoes.

I was just having a look at that category and this image caught my
eye: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Young_girl_with_see-through_tops_and_shorts.jpg

It was bot-transferred over from Flickr with a description of "Hello,
My name is Amber and I'm 5' 1" and very petite. I like to meet new
people and I'm very easy to get to know. Just ad me as a friend to see
all my pics and any comments, notes, and favorites are appreciated
too. bye for"

The Flickr accounts originally involved have since been deleted

This makes me very suspicious that we've basically taken an image from
a porn-spammer and unquestioningly put it on Commons....

Chris
(The Land)