[Gendergap] Question for the Foundation about photographs of women

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 03:33:13 UTC 2011

Sarah,  (and a rant, of course)

I contacted WMF legal counsel about this, and they responded with the legal
stance and related content to at least "child pornography" and Henrietta has
put together this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Child_pornography_policy_and_laws-
based on that content.

The "see also" also provides further links, including the one Fred shared.

While I'm not as worried about "child porn" on Commons, I'm more disgusted
with the fact that bad amateur photos and nude photos have to be used to
depict pregnant women, on the [[pregnancy]] page. Not only is it NSFW, the
photos are amateur quality at best. And it always comes down to "oh, it
offends a few of you, well, deal with it." But, this is just one of many
articles where arguments like this take place...

I also think (after working in the fashion and photography private sector
for almost 10 years before non-profits) that model releases are as important
as OTRS copyright releases when it comes to "sexual" content on Wikipedia.
Whether nude photos, cock shots, or booty shorts. I'm sure most of the
people who have nude photos or sexual photos of themselves on Commons have
no clue.

But...what do I know...I'm a "prude" :P

-Sarah

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> > Several women, including on WikiProject Feminism on the English
> > Wikipedia, have recently expressed concern about the number of
> > photographs of women's body parts that Wikimedia hosts, particularly
> > regarding the issue of permission.
> >
> > It's far from clear in many cases that the women have given consent.
> > It's also sometimes unclear that the subjects are above the age of
> > consent.
> >
> > Another concern is what a woman is meant to do if someone uploads an
> > image of her without her knowledge. Is she supposed to write to an
> > anonymous person at OTRS? Does she have to give her real name? How
> > does it work?
> >
> > Any information from the Foundation about the legal situation, and
> > what Foundation policy is, would be very helpful.
> >
> > Sarah
>
> The matter is discussed at Commons:Photographs of identifiable people
>

> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/wiki/Commons:Photographs_of_identifiable_people
>
> Fred

GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American
Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
and
Sarah Stierch Consulting
*Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*