[Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:02:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 09:45, Béria Lima <beria.lima at wikimedia.pt> wrote:

> In this case, Sarah, change the policy of what should be in Main Page, or
> change the Sexual policy (in discussion by the way).
>
> Create a cruzade against that image would not change anything. And btw,
> take political, ideological or any other kind of ideas from a 5 words phrase
> requires much imagination. Is not better ask the person what he meant by
> that?

Hi Beria,

My point is this: a significant number of women (current and potential
editors) don't want to work in a "I like the big tits" atmosphere, whatever
was meant by it. Others don't mind. Point is that some *do* mind.

So they are an important five words. Behind them lies a long and sorry tale
of sexism and objectification of women, and people thinking it's okay to
write and behave that way.

Some of us on this list would like to see that culture change, bit by bit.
Hard to know how to do that, and I take your point that it's not going to
change by singling out these five words. On the other hand, if not these
five words, which words? Change comes in tiny steps, each one perhaps
insignificant in itself.

Sarah