[Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 14:04:28 UTC 2011

--- On Wed, 18/5/11, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> From: Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
> Subject: Re: [Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons
> To: "Increasing female participation in Wikimedia projects" <gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Date: Wednesday, 18 May, 2011, 14:23
> > --- On Wed, 18/5/11, Béria Lima
> <beria.lima at wikimedia.pt>
> wrote:
> > From: Béria Lima <beria.lima at wikimedia.pt>
> > Subject: Re: [Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the
> Day on Wikimedia
> > Commons
> > To: "Increasing female participation in Wikimedia
> projects"
> > <gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org>
> > Date: Wednesday, 18 May, 2011, 12:54

> > This list was set up to discuss systemic issues in
> Foundation projects.
> > In the opinion of several contributors here, this
> specific issue is
> > profoundly symptomatic of the issue this list was set
> up to discuss.
>
> I doubt women generally support censorship or benefit from
> it.

Could we agree that a decision not to feature a medicore and non-notable piece of original art that offers no or little educational value is _not_ censorhip?

And could we agree that featuring a medicore and non-notable piece of original art that offers no or little educational value, just because it has tits in it, is questionable?

> > This includes Commons selecting images for featured
> status on the basis
> > of comments like "I like her big tits", rather than
> artistic merit, and
> > then featuring them on the main page.
>
> You've been informed several times that such remarks are
> discounted when
> discussions are evaluated.

You have been informed several times that the comment was not discounted.

Those who supported featured status for the image explained their reasons as follows:

1. Support. Kawaii :) (Japanese for "cute" or "charming")

2. Support I like it. Well it's manga so the colors or landscape do not have to make sense ;-)

3. Support

4. Support Superb work

5. Support i like her big tits :-)

6. Support i know that it was very much of work for the user. i have seen the first lines of it and can see now the result: a wunderful work.

7. Support - very good work.

8. strong  Support I have seen this work evolve and it is brilliant. Keep up the good work niabot!

The end result was 8 support, 2 oppose, 2 neutral => featured.

Discussion here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_picture_candidates/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg

Personally, I found those who commented or opposed a bit more articulate than those who supported in that discussion.

Andreas