[Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:23:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Sarah Stierch <sarah at sarahstierch.com>wrote:

>  On 5/16/2011 11:49 AM, Pete Forsyth wrote:
>
> Anybody interested in tackling this issue?
> -Pete
>
> I'm working on diving into the HOW-TO this summer for Wiki. I do want to
> see all of these topics covered - and I'll contribute in anyway I can. Where
> do we start? ;-)

Hi Sarah,

I'd be really happy to work on this with you! (And anyone else).

My sense is that there's a lot of work to do in identifying the problem --
or rather, evaluating the collection of interrelated issues, and determining
where it's best to focus. The things that seem significant to me are:

(1) Picture of the Day on Commons often seems to be the source of
unnecessary strife (moreso than, say, PotD on English Wikipedia);
(2) It appears that there is not a clearly identified set of editorial
values around what DOES constitute a worthwhile PotD on Commons;
(3) The technical and social processes for setting a PotD are difficult to
understand and poorly documented.

How about if we collaborate a bit on documenting how things currently work?
I think that process will point the way toward recommending a solution.

I've set up a page for this project, if you're game!
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Peteforsyth/PotD

-Pete