[Gendergap] Gender binary issues?

Deanna Zandt deanna at deannazandt.com
Fri Mar 25 18:52:57 UTC 2011

Hi all, me again--

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, and if it has, to point me to the correct place in the archives. It was something that came up in response to the webinar in a multitude of ways, and that was basically: how do we address current male dominance of Wikipedia while being welcoming of folks who don't fall on the gender-binary lines?

I ask for a couple reasons: one, we addressed this with the webinar by asking people who identify as men to voluntarily waitlist themselves, to ensure that those who don't identify as men find a spot, since that's who the webinar we created was intended for. Then, a couple of folks who identified as genderqueer or trans asked me afterwards if there were places like Wikichix (is this an active group, btw?) and gendergap for them to discuss and support one another. I don't have an answer to that question, but I would assume anyone who is addressing the pervasive male percentages would at least be welcome here, regardless of how they identify.

Last, I'm wondering if this group is interested in including that kind of language in the manifesto? It can feel like we are complicating things, for sure, but I would certainly support it (as a *brand new* member, heh).

cheers
dz

-=-=-=-=-
Deanna Zandt
deanna at deannazandt.com
Site: http://www.deannazandt.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/randomdeanna
Facebook: Public: http://facebook.com/deannazandt
Facebook: Personal: http://facebook.com/deannaz

Author: Share This! How You Will Change the World with Social Networking, Berrett-Koehler, June 2010
http://www.sharethischange.com/

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." -- Oscar Wilde