[Gendergap] Manifesto

Joseph Reagle joseph.2008 at reagle.org
Thu Mar 24 20:11:03 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011, Sandra ordonez wrote:
> Thanks to Slim Virgin for providing the foundation of our Manifesto.

I like it a lot, and made some tweaks to the prose. I also like the sentiment of the last bullet, but something doesn't ring quite right to me in it and I will continue to think it over.

With respect to the final clause, I have some confusion about the purpose of the manifesto:

1. Is this supposed to be a code of conduct for this list then? (That's how it strikes me. Why not call it a code of conduct then?) Also, on some set of Wiki pages?
2. The list is referenced only at the end, and there's no link.
3. I'd be careful about implying this list is a "safe" place for disclosures of a personal or emotional nature. This is an open list that is publicly archived. Of course, I'm not implying that anti-social behavior be accepted, only that the nature of the list be duly noted. (The Foundation's privacy statement used to have nice information on the lists [1], but it is no longer there, I wonder where that information has gone now?)

[1]: http://wikimediafoundation.org/?oldid=13702#E-mail.2C_mailing_lists_and_IRC