[Gendergap] Visible female faces for Wikim/pedia

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Sun Mar 20 23:16:05 UTC 2011

>Try to delete all the female only ones.

Per my vote:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Wikipe-tan%27s_past,_now_and_future2.png&diff=52205534&oldid=52201575

Be bold: Delete them *all* and let the data gods sort them out. I think
discussion in the early days of this list pretty much established from the
get-go that Wikipe-tan was a major turnoff, that she conjured up some pretty
unsavory stereotypes (of both female and male Wikipedians, I should add),
that she was unrepresentative and that Jimbo was not a fan.

A few years ago we got rid of Bad Jokes and Other Deleted Nonsense. I loved
those pages; I had added quite a bit to them. But I could see the point of
the deletion nom. It created licensing problems and violated WP:DENY. We
moved it to Uncyclopedia (or did we?). Wikipedia survived, and grew up just
a little more. We could certainly survive giving Wikipe-tan her walking
papers.

Daniel Case