[Gendergap] What to do about sexism when we see it on WP?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Mar 18 04:37:00 UTC 2011

Keep in mind that no action is one of the alternatives. It is private
though and will provide some sense of what is out there. As noted by
others, difficulties with enforcing civility is a long standing problem
and is a significant part of Wikipedia's internal politics. However I
doubt the viability of an openly sexist faction, however aggrieved and
outraged they may be. The potential opening for backlash is resistance to
imposition of strict political correctness, regarding which I've pretty
much had my say. Of course, offenders will confuse the issue, both in
their own minds and in their talk, as all civility issues are confused;
and sometimes successfully, to the point that such conflation has been
the road to power for some, and not all male either.

Fred