[Gendergap] Proposal: Forking gendergap: Main list for women and transgender, sublist for male supporters

Brandon Harris bharris at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 16 20:37:55 UTC 2011

On 3/16/11 1:18 PM, Laura Hale wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org
> <mailto:erik at wikimedia.org>> wrote:
>
>     IMO this list was started as an inclusive forum for discussion of
>     gender gap among equal participants. Discrimination by gender doesn't
>     make sense to me.
>

> Erik,
>
> Can I ask you a personal question?  What gender are you? If you aren't
> female, why are you participating in this conversation?

	Erik is the Deputy Director of the Wikimedia Foundation.  As to why he
is on this list and participating in the conversation, it is because the
overall health of Wikimedia projects is his primary concern.

	My reasons are similar: I am the User Interface Designer employed by
the Foundation.  I believe my paramount mission is increase overall
participation and collaboration.  The male/female gendergap falls into
the purview of that mission.

	If anything I have said has made you uncomfortable, I apologize;
however, I do not necessarily believe that I should stop my (admittedly
limited) participation in this conversation because of my gender.