[Gendergap] How to use Wiki videos

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 02:29:32 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 15/3/11, Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org> wrote:

From: Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org>
Subject: Re: [Gendergap] How to use Wiki videos
To: gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org
Date: Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, 23:20
A video incorporating the new RefToolbar (the thing that appears
    when you click "Cite" in the editor) would be helpful in this
    regard. Citation templates and citation formatting are definitely
    one of the biggest barriers to truly integrating newbies into
    Wikipedia editing (i.e. getting beyond doing spelling corrections).
    I think that people would be a lot less intimidated if they knew
    they could just paste in an ISBN number and click a button and the
    citation is automatically created for them. (I remember my own
    amazement at learning this.)  Have you seen this utility? You just paste in the Google Books URL, and it creates a named,fully formatted book reference:   http://reftag.appspot.com/?book_url=&dateformat=dmy   It works better than the autofill in the cite book template.
If you were looking at a particular page in Google Books, it also inserts the page numberand adds a link to that page.
Andreas