[Gendergap] How to use Wiki videos

Collective Action collective_action at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:02:45 UTC 2011

Thanks for all the suggested videos. My recently set up forum at http://women4wikipedia.net/vanillaforums.com has Tutorials as one of it's categories. I intend to label them as Novice, Intermediat or Advanced. I've reproduced the post here for the first tut.

Instructional videos on Wikipedia: Novice Level

Wikipedia:Beneath the Surface created by North Caroline State Universities
For people who may have read Wikipedia but don't know much about contributing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8otRh1QPc

Related Link
1. Example of a user page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Smartse

How to Create a Wikipedia Article by Howcast.com
Very basic, for people who have very little to no experience with Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CwiZIsaM7s&feature=related

Related Links
1. How to Cite Wikipedia Style (English site) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CITE

eg Ritter, Ron. <i>The Oxford Style Manual</i>. Oxford University Press, 2002, p. 1.

"Citations for World Wide Web pages typically include:

    * name of the author(s)
    * title of the article within quotation marks
    * name of the website
    * date of publication
    * page number(s) (if applicable)
    * the date you retrieved it (required if the publication date is unknown)"

2. Wikipedia Help Page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents

"The best place to look depends on what kind of help you need:

    * If you're doing research and need to know where to find a particular piece of information, or just want the answer to a trivia question, try Wikipedia:Reference desk.
    * Are you a contributor who wants to get help with the editing process and understanding Wikipedia's policies and guidelines? If so, ask a question at Wikipedia:Help desk.
    * Ask about technical issues at Wikipedia:Village pump, which is a page where folks especially knowledgeable about Wikipedia hang out. The village pump is a metaphor for a community watering hole where lots of people gather to discuss many interesting topics."

Wikimedia Foundation Video on Neutral Point of View
Starts out annoyingly basic but shows a good example of how to handle controverisal subjects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0Nmv9qsd8

Related Links
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view

Wikimedia Foundation Video 'Inside Wikipedia'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9-CovbP-7U

Related Link
1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Gardner
We had our first Women4Wikipedia face to face meetup a few days ago and a couple of us got really good advice from Laura Hale about steps to take to help protect our contributions from deletion.  I think this advice is very useful and timely and I expect to include this info in a future tutorial. I agree with what Fred said that the process is out of step with induction. I would add that Wikipedians seem to want to solve every problem with a wiki and I think this inhibits people from the benefits of using other forms of communication and learning where it would be more useful. Wikipedia is just so big and there are an enormous number of policies to get across and I think this is inconsistent with the idea that people can 'just edit a page'. I think the exhortations that it is easy to edit Wikipedia implies that it does not require much if anything in the way of preparation and I think this contributes to people then coming up against protocols they are not aware of and getting into conflicts.

I also have some other crictisims about policies when applied Biographies of Living Persons but I think I can write a feature length article on that one so will leave it for the appropriate occasion.

regards

Rosie Williams
http://women4wikipedia.net

http://collectiveaction.com.au