[Gendergap] How to use Wiki videos

Carissa Wodehouse carissawodehouse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:04:15 UTC 2011

Hi,
Yep I do find both of those videos too basic (
http://www.howcast.com/videos/317521-How-To-Edit-a-Wikipedia-Article and
http://www.commoncraft.com/wikipedia-video). I get the nuts and bolts of how
to click around, I know basic html when I see it, and I remember neutral
tone and proper citations from college and time in publishing (but gotta
love a video on the internet that explains that you need an internet
connection). The Howcast referenced the Wiki:Cite page, which I then find
confusing because I don't get when to use each citation method.

A Strunk & White version of the rules is what I need! There's so many women
in publishing, that could be a good group to target for women on Wiki
involvement, as someone said before. I just need to know how wiki editing is
similar and different from AP Style, for example.

I would also be interested in a video that explains the community, which is
both one of the primary barriers and primary motivations I have for
participating. I didn't know about barnstars and awards, for example. Then I
eventually found this Editor Assistance page (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Editor_assistance) which looks like
something handy-- I didn't know there was a place to ask for help. Then,
what are user talk, user boxes, who gives awards, who are some key figures
(Jimbo, etc), what is the user/editor/moderator relationship, and what are
some things that can happen once I start editing and interacting. That's
what a video would be handy for. It all feels like trying to get into Lost
in the last season-- all these time tunnels and smoke monsters that I
couldn't trace to their original form if I tried.

Sadly, I see no meet ups in Portland or Mexico City, yet...

Thanks,
Carissa