[Gendergap] Proposal: Forking gendergap: Main list for women and transgender, sublist for male supporters

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 15 21:19:30 UTC 2011

On 3/15/11 9:34 AM, Nicole Willson wrote:
> Lastly, I had a question about Fred's statement about rules. If
> following rules isn't that important in the beginning, how come I have
> only gotten feedback once about what I've done wrong with date
> formatting and never gotten a message about what I've done right on
> Wikipedia? I've made at least 150 edits, so one of them must have been
> good, right? Instead I get a message about date formatting (which
> someone else could probably fix easily) and told to look at the MoS
> (which assumes that I know that it stands for Manual of Style). It
> seems to me that there may be a disconnect here.

Yes, there is definitely a disconnect. I proposed adding some positive
user feedback templates to the widely-used Twinkle gadget a while back,
but was shot down due to concerns that it would be "abused"(?!). So
instead, I created a new "WikiLove" user script and have proposed it as
a new gadget. This script makes it just as easy to add barnstars,
cookies, kittens, cupcakes, etc. to user talk pages as it is to add
warning templates via Twinkle. The response to my proposal was baffling:
"doesn't seem to have any practical purpose", "I don't think most people
would be pleased to see an increase in barnstar-giving", "the current
level of barnstar-giving is sufficient". Apparently the community puts
little to no values in positive user feedback. This is probably a
symptom of the Eternal September effect mentioned by Sue in the March
Update. I think the culture can change, but it's going to take a
sustained and concerted effort.

Kaldari