[Gendergap] Meta: Don't be a dick

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:14:55 UTC 2011

On 3/13/11 10:45 AM, Nepenthe wrote:
> Are we seriously suggesting that women, as a class, are not editing
> Wikipedia because sometimes editors use naughty words?

I think what's more likely is that many people (not all of them women)
get an inaccurate impression about how seriously we take ourselves as a
project, from an essay titled this way.

Speaking from personal experience, I have generally avoided referring to
this essay -- even though it's a really important one -- when
introducing academic audiences to Wikipedia. I've also never pointed it
out to my mom (who may still be lurking on this list -- hi Mom!) I don't
feel it would be respectful or appropriate to use this title in such
contexts.

My own feeling is that this essay, as titled, served a very positive and
important role in the development of Wikipedia, but that the time for a
title like that has come and gone. To refer back to the "principle of
least astonishment", discussed a few weeks ago, would most readers
expect the title of an essay on civil behavior to refer to a sexual
organ? I don't think so.

I'd favor renaming the essay "Don't be a jerk." I know that many
Wikipedians will continue to use the older name, and it's probably fine
in some contexts. But I don't see the use in the "official" title being
so provocative.

-Pete