[Gendergap] Meta: Don't be a dick

The Richardsons donsav2 at optonline.net
Sun Mar 13 13:40:25 UTC 2011

Now here’s something. As soon as I saw it, I thought “This belongs in the Gendergap Digest!” It is a Meta essay called “Don’t be a Dick”. I know that many people will rally for or against it, but before we do, we have to do four things:

1. Read the essay at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_a_dick. It isn’t that profane. Also read the disclaimer “This is an essay. It expresses the opinions and ideas of some wikimedians or Meta-Wiki users but may not have wide support. This is not policy on the Meta-Wiki, but it may be policy or guideline on other Wikimedia projects. Feel free to update this page as needed, or use the discussion page to propose major changes.”
2. Realize that this essay uses a vulgar, yet not excessively profane, casual line of speech that is inherently manly. Women might not like that.
3. Wikipedia is supposed to be a melding of knowledge and opinions.
4. Wikipedia and its sister projects advise against personal attacks (yet this deals with being attacked, or accused of being a dick and politely dealing with a dick).
5. Wikipedia and its sister projects advise against removing content for the benefit of any group, no matter how large or powerful (the only exception is hardcore pornography).

Considering these four things, I believe that the best course of action is to read a lot of essays. They are often the opinion of one or a few editors.Reading the opinions of many people can help broaden your mind, even if it is a little vulgar. Take it with a little salt. They didn’t say something like “If you’re a dick, I will f***ing blank your p***y c** page because you’re a sl***y b****y c*** who I hope gets raped by a b***h p***y n****r every day because you’re a dick!”

Finally, I hope that using the word “dick” in this entry has been excused. I believe that this can be seen offensive to both men and women, but mostly women. But, I believe that if “Don’t be a dick” inspires anyone to leave Wikipedia or its sister projects, that person shouldn’t have even been on Wikipedia in the first place. Wikipedia is supposed to be a melding of opinions. As this is an essay and not an article, it is supposed to be a place for exclusively opinion.