[Gendergap] Nine Reasons Women Don't Edit Wikipedia

sia wase siawasechan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 14:52:29 UTC 2011

Re: "And I was particularly interested
to read women saying they believe the bar for notability is higher for
the topics they write about, than it is for 'male' or 'ungendered'
topics."

I posted a lengthy reply re: this on Jimbo's talk page, but from what I've
seen of toy articles and associated kids culture (cartoons etc) this is
absolutely true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=411780149
I won't reiterate all of it here, but it's not that female topics are
discriminated against and treated more harsly than policy allows (though
that might happen too) but rather that male topics are actually treated with
less scrutiny and given way more leeway than policy generally proscribes. A
privilege analysis may be more fruitful here than a discrimination analysis.