[Gendergap] Girl Scout achievement award proposal

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 03:21:14 UTC 2011

I've made preliminary inquires regarding the establishment of a Girl
Scout merit badge or other achievement award in online encyclopedia
improvement. There is precedent for such a program in the 1960's "Wing
Scouts" Girl Scout aviation program:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Scout#Wing_Scouts_in_Northern_California

San Francisco's Girl Scout camp, Camp Ida Smith, is due to be returned
soon from the Department of Public Works after renovation of the Lake
Merced pumping station -- see p. 4, topic 12 of
http://www.girlscoutsnorcal.org/documents/08-07-07-MM-No-Co.pdf --
presenting an opportunity for the re-commissioning ceremony.

It is still not clear to me what is necessary to establish a new
achievement award, but I would ask that list members in the US contact
their local Girl Scouts USA Council in support of the proposal:
http://www.girlscouts.org/councilfinder/

For those of you outside of the US, please contact the World
Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts -- http://www.wagggs.org/
email wagggs at wagggsworld dot org -- and/or the USA Girl Scouts
Overseas -- http://www.girlscouts.org/who_we_are/overseas/committees/
or email kathryn.m.owen at eur dot army dot mil.

Richard, how have the New York Chapter efforts to contact the Girl
Scouts been going?