[Gendergap] Women4Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes scire.facias at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 22:13:54 UTC 2011

It depends. I don't think you can generalise and say that gender is the
distinction here; rather, it's a distinction of interests and norms. I
recommend http://www.mindspillage.org/wiki/Women_on_Wikipedia as a good
read. " the culture is not biased against women, but rather biased toward
certain traits and against others--and that generally men are more likely to
be in the group whose characteristics are more accepted"; in other words, we
could have an identical culture if 85 percent of the editors were female,
they'd just be a very specific subset of women.