[Gendergap] Wikiproject: Womens Cafe for all language wikis

Oliver Keyes scire.facias at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 02:22:57 UTC 2011

The former contributors study - and this is my fundamental problem with the
brainstorming here - did not take the gender of the participant into
account. There is no reason to assume this applies explicitly or more
strongly to women. The appropriate response is either:

   1. To take the former contributors' concerns into account and brainstorm
   ways to fix them that apply regardless of gender, as the survey did.
   2. To find out if there is actually a distinction between the concerns of
   female ex-editors and male ex-editors and then brainstorm from the results.

Your idea of a dedicated portal for women deals with neither of these
problems. It will either have the same social standards as the rest of
Wikipedia, or it won't. If it does have the same standards, it's useless and
unnecessary, because the participants could do just as well on the rest of
the project. If it doesn't, it's useless, unnecessary and unfounded, because
you've yet to demonstrate any evidence stronger than "somebody said" that
there are gender-specific problems here. Further than that, it's simply
preparing these new editors to be metaphorically dropped in it from a great
height when they run into the rest of the community for the first time.

I appreciate the concerns of the female contributors here and at various
comment threads on blogs around the world. If my time in the political world
taught me anything, however, it's that such places are *not* breeding
grounds for reliable data. You tend to attract either people who are highly
enthusiastic and fine with the project, or people who are highly pissed off
by it. Making broad assumptions and actions based on the second- or
third-hand evidence of a few people who fall into those categories is
inefficient. I'm not talking about a four-year survey; what I was proposing,
and what garnered some support (and no opposition) before vanishing from the
face of the earth, was a repeat of Howie's survey with a gender drop-box.
This would not take long, and would allow us to see a) whether some work the
WMF has already put in has had any discernible effect, b) more accurately
what the proportion of men to women is on WMF projects and c) if there is
any discernible difference in the concerns reported by self-identified women
and self-identified men. From that we can see what needs to be done.

I'm fully supportive of opening up Wikipedia to more users, addressing their
concerns, and making women a particular focus due to their
underrepresentation, which may lead to systematic bias and an absence of
NPOV. But until you can actually demonstrate reliable evidence that there *
are* different concerns for men and different concerns for women, applying
different standards seems to be a complete waste of time.