[Gendergap] Women's portal?

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 15 01:32:35 UTC 2011

> IDEA - start WIKIPROJECT in all languages called: Womens Cafe (or
> something sociable and helpful sounding) as an outreach, education and
> support network

Along this line, may I direct the list's attention to perhaps an even better
way, using an underutilized aspect of Wikipedia, that might be a useful
place to bring new female editors into the community: A portal.

We have a whole portal namespace, portals devoted to many, many topics
(including portals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Portal)), a time
portal, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Time)  and featured portals.
One of those latter is, in fact, the feminism portal
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Feminism).

Most of these mimic the main page, with a topic-area focus. I suppose a user
could, if desired, bookmark a preferred portal in their browser (although I
think most of us like to check in to the main page because everyone else
does).

But, I ask, do they necessarily have to? Could we design a portal or portals
for outreach purposes? What would a portal meant to be a welcome center for
new editors, or women editors, look like? Could we find different ways of
doing a portal that would incorporate the things we're talking about here?

Daniel Case