[Gendergap] Hardcore images essay

Madalyn Zimbric madalyn at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 15 01:03:06 UTC 2011

For what it's worth, I am offended by the existence of pornography, for a
variety of reasons none of which involve my being squeamish about sex. I am
not offended by including pornographic images on articles about those types
of images. Indeed, I expect Wikipedia to have images illustrating articles
whenever possible; I don't see why we should make an exception for articles
about sexuality.

It is reasonable to ask that drawings rather than photographs be used
whenever the subject is an act of violence, barring images of historical
interest. I consider pornography, in general, a depiction of an act of
violence. So I'm pretty happy that most of the pornographic images being
discussed here are drawings. (Honestly, I was fairly surprised that these
were considered so objectionable. I was expecting something horrifically
biological. They're cartoons! No humans were harmed in the making of these
cartoons.)

An authoritative educational resource for everyone should include that
subset of everyone who want to learn about pornography, human sexuality,
death, spiders, radical political movements, and all sorts of other
objectionable things.

Maybe not spiders. We could leave spiders out.

Nepenthe