[Gendergap] Content versus behaviour

Kim van der Linde kim at kimvdlinde.com
Thu Feb 10 23:30:00 UTC 2011

On 2/10/2011 4:42 PM, Oliver Keyes wrote:
> So, petty, childish POV-pushing is something men do more than women.

Yes, that is my experience.

 > Is
> there any actual statistical evidence of this?

I already suggested we do a survey to get a feel for the actual numbers.

> Aren't we here precisely
> /because/ the number of women on Wikipedia is statistically tiny?

Yes, but that does not make my experience invalid.

> I'm
> sure you do encounter women doing it on WP more than men.

Yes, and that are generally the few women who persevere at WP.

> That might be
> something to do with the fact that there are far more men here /than/
> women. Is there any way we could try to think of a solution which
> doesn't involve gender stereotypes - or at least, if we're going to
> involve stereotypes, provide evidence stronger than "well, it's happened
> to me"?

The blunt reality of gender stereotypes is that they actually exist when
looking at whole populations. if we want generic solutions, we are going
to fail hard. What we need to know is why women and men leave wikipedia.
And I dare to bet on it that the gender steryotypes will rank high in
that list. So, aAs I indicated above and earlier, we should do a survey
among women and men who left WP and ask them "WHY DID YOU LEAVE?"

Kim
--
http://www.kimvdlinde.com