[Gendergap] Hello and specific relevant discussions on En.Wikipedia

carolmooredc at verizon.net carolmooredc at verizon.net
Thu Feb 10 16:26:44 UTC 2011

Hi. I'm Carolmooredc and since I edit on controversial political topics
I get in lots of trouble with guys who don't like opinionated females
who don't shut up and go away when they are told to. I wish it got me
down enough to leave and do something more profitable, but I'm stubborn
- and semi-retired with lots of time on my hands.

I'd like to get more educated and retired people involved and think
there are tens of thousands who could be attracted - if we could deal
with the bar room brawl aspects of wikipedia as this exaggerated but
amusing article describes: "Wikipedia: This is a man's world"
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/wikipedia-this-is-a-mans-world-2206207.html

If the Egyptians can get rid of Mubarak, we can get rid of incivility on
Wikipedia. (And it is catching; I tend to catch it myself when editing
on one or two articles where there's lots of it and before you know it,
I'm bringing (mild versions of) it elsewhere where all is peaceful. But
at least I'm always willing to apologize and strike my (relatively mild)
incivil comments.

Anyway, bottom line of why I am posting here is to alert people to at
least one place where relevant discussions listed (now just haphazardly
in talk).  Which is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Feminism (I
don't know if other languages have such projects.)

Perhaps "WikiProjects Women" on all language Wikipedias are necessary to
draw in women who for various reasons might not go to a "Wikiproject
Feminism"??

Anyway, an idea of current issues below on en. wikipedia below in case
anyone wants to jump right in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wikipedia#Gender_bias
Needs expanding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Civility#Proposal
Someone else proposed language to WP:Civility to make slurs vs.
homosexuals a no -no and I pointed out it wasn't clear that slurs
against women as women are not sufficiently outlawed in the proposal (or
now).  And of course people are now saying adding one or two words to
make both clear is just too much bureaucracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_discussion/Log/2011_February_9#Bias_categories
Proposal to delete in order to to try to have a unified policy because
some categories allow people/organizations to be categorized who may be
bigoted and others don't. Because of consensus on the talk page (formed
by who?) Category:Homophobia doesn't allow it and I have a feeling
Category:sexism wouldn't  allow some of us to put all the overtly sexist
(via WP:RS) males and organizations in that category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Username_policy#Need_more_warnings_on_using_real_names
Do we need stronger warnings to new users (esp women) that using real
names (or sex) can lead to harassment? Or even a check mark box for them
to check they've read about that possibility on registering ?
(Obviously, using my real name, I've had problems!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/dispute_resolution
Main relevant proposals are relating to easier blocks for bad behavior.
(Elsewhere dealing with editors who gang up on others, whether from POV
or just enjoy trashing females, has been discussed so that may yet be a
related proposal on that page.) I was working on a proposal when the NT
TImes articles came out and got sidetracked. Anyway, we definitely need
more female input.

Thanks...

Carol in dc