[Gendergap] Top 10 Reasons to Encourage More Women Participation in Wikipedia

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Thu Feb 10 11:15:27 UTC 2011

And of all the emails sent recently on this list, this is probably my
favorite :) Thank you to Delphine for asking the question. Thank you to
Sandy to give it a try to answer.

Some emails on this list have been giving good points and good
suggestions, but I do not think venting the various frustrations we have
met on Wikipedia or in our professional life or in our personal life is
going to really make for a big change.

My view would rather be that we indeed start with asking ourselves the
question "What would women bring to Wikipedia ? Would that help us in
our big dream to get more women participation ? "
- Because if the answer is "we need more women to reach our goal of
collecting and bringing knowledge to the world", great.
- If the answer is "we need more women because equality should require
that we have a 50%-50% men-women", then we fail. Making sure women are
respected, listened to, involved, blablabla, is great. But that's not
what we are collectively looking for. Our goal is not gender equality,
right ?

Second, once we have identified the reason for more participation (if we
have agreed it would be helpful), then we should identify what would be
the indicators for success. Because again, forgive me for being bold...
but if we set up an official goal of say-25% participation of women...
then it means that what we are currently doing is working toward a goal
of more "men-women equality". I personally do not care for this goal. I
am here on Wikipedia to allow every one to have access to a complete,
accurate, uptodate, neutral information. So, a goal of "more women" or a
goal of "at least 25% women contributors" makes no sense to me.

If "improve the breadth of our articles" is our goal (to make sure
lipstick and russian women biographies are properly covered), then set
up a goal with regards to "content breadth". And implement a tracking
system to follow evolution.

If "50% of women readers in north african countries" is our goal, then
set up a goal with regards to "readership stats". And implement a
tracking system to follow "readership stats".

If "getting good PR so that the press loves us and so that big
foundations give us cash" is our goal, then set up a goal with regards
to "25% women participation". And implement a tracking system to follow
women participation and buzz the results.

But as long as we do not know what our "goals" are, it is weird to
define indicators of success and weird to rely on stats that carry
little significance.

Third, when goals and indicators are set up (and perhaps different
groups will have different goals and indicators), then it will be time
to foster the best conditions so that this happens over time. Some will
choose a totally western strategy and organize "women day", "women
awards", "special projects for women". Others will choose a more
let-it-be strategy, merely avoiding the least favorable paths and
influencing to get us on favorable paths. Usually, Wikipedians strategy
is rather of the second type.

For those who understand French, I have blogged on the topic here:
http://www.anthere.org/post/2011/02/09/Wikipedia%2C-les-femmes-et-la-philosophie-du-non-agir

Anthere