[Gendergap] Women Post--publicizing

Monaghan, Patricia PMONAGHA at depaul.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:10:17 UTC 2011

As a novice and newcomer, I am fascinated by these discussions (although I admit some are soaring over my head).

March is indeed only a few weeks away.  However, a lot of academic email lists, which could draw some great women contributors, post every day.  On H-NET, there are a number of such lists, such as H-WOMEN with hundreds of members including graduate students, who I believe might well be some of the most active contributors.

Some academics deplore Wikipedia.  I have several colleagues who deplore its very existence.  (Yes, I have pointed out the studies that compare it to printed encyclopediae, but to no avail.)  However, others are less bigoted.  And in my experience, graduate students welcome the chance to "publish" in areas they are researching and about which they are writing.

If there were to be a concerted campaign during Women's Hist Month (US), it would have to be organized pretty quickly--like, this week. Might be too much. I'd certainly post hither and yon if this does come about.

Or there's always next year....cheers Patricia

PS Us amateurs don't know the difference between an editor and someone who just posts.  I am referring above to getting women to post.  Editing is beyond my ken at the moment.  Or maybe I'm making a distinction w/ no difference.