[Gendergap] Hello and a (small!) manifesto

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 9 04:18:35 UTC 2011

>I am reminded of what Sydney said earlier, that behaviours that are normal
>in real life -- e.g. that you talk to friends when a situation has upset
>you -- are not normal in Wikipedia. The assumption in Wikipedia is that any
>such conversation would serve a nefarious Machiavellian purpose, rather
>than
>the simple human need for emotional support.

Well, at least for some people. I have no problem when people approach me on
my talk page, and I don't expect any when I reciprocate. Usually things work
out just fine.

However, I don't deny that mentality exists. Some people, either with or
without good reason, feel that any attempt to talk to them is just someone
laying the groundwork for "tried to resolve it and failed" or some other
such escalation into a formal dispute resolution.

I think some editors have been genuinely surprised when I addressed their
concerns politely and actually compromised with them. And yes, I've
encountered users who treated the incursion into their talk pages as if
looking out through the crack between door and wall below a chain.

>You can't let your hair down in Wikipedia, because anything you say on
>a talk page can and will be taken down and used in evidence against you.

Transparency is a two-edged sword, isn't it? I do agree that not all new
users are aware that almost *everything* is saved and *anyone*, not just
registered users, can look at it. Can we do anything to better let new
editors know you have no reasonable expectation of privacy over any edit you
make?

Frankly, I think we're just where society as a whole is going to be in a few
decades, where this level of transparency will be considered not only normal
but desirable and cooperative. Orwell got the concept of Big Brother right,
but he didn't anticipate that the only difference between communism and
capitalism after the triumph of the latter would be that *everyone* could
and would be keeping tabs on everyone else, not just the government.
Foucault got it more right ... "Against the peer-group jury", David Riesman
wrote in "The Lonely Crowd", "there is no privilege against
self-incrimination."

Daniel Case