[Gendergap] [Gender gap] Commentary in The Independent

hovlandpetersen at gmail.com hovlandpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 02:52:33 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

My name is Karen Petersen and I have never done anything with Wikipedia. If you are looking for all reasons contributing to the gender gap, perhaps I have one.

I have often thought of exploring opportunities to write/edit for the organization, but insecurity got the best of me: Who did I think I was to be part of this bigger-than-life movement? And as an English major who formerly worked in TV news and freelanced on occasion, would I even qualify? It seemed very intimidating.

So I saw the article and signed up to be part of the discussion; I had no idea what I was in for! It seems as if there is some whole underground Wiki-world. If it wasn't intimidating before, it certainly is now. And that is not even taking the crazy mascot into account.

There it is, my simple - almost too simple - reason for at least part of the problem (to those who see the gender gap as a problem).

Best,
Karen