[Gendergap] Hello and a (small!) manifesto

Sarah Stierch sarah at sarahstierch.com
Sun Feb 6 18:26:41 UTC 2011

On 2/6/2011 1:19 PM, Brandon Harris wrote:

> On 2/6/11 10:10 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:
>
>> Cracking down on hasty deleters and new-page patrolers is productive of
>> much heat and little light. It amounts to a lot of heavy lifting for very
>> little outcome.
>>
>> I think many women have enough patience or insight to stick around long
>> enough to get though preliminary unpleasantness, survive the systemic
>> problems we have, and make substantial contributions to content and
>> policy, particularly if there is social support.
> 	I don't think this is a wise perspective.
>
> 	The treatment that new users receive is very clearly one of the reasons
> why they don't stick around.  Simply saying "oh, they'll get over it in
> time" doesn't do anything to help solve the problem, it only perpetuates it.

Yeah, I'm not the only person on this mailing list who has stated that I
stopped editing in the beginning due to this issue. The main reason that
I decided to start editing again was because I was a member of a team, a
team that stands by one another when an outsider stirs the pot. :)

And yes, that's from social support, but, new editors rarely have that.

Sarah

--
Sarah Stierch Consulting
Historical, cultural & artistic research, advising & event planning.