[Gendergap] Hello and a (small!) manifesto

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 5 12:17:16 UTC 2011

>I participate regularly in the Featured Picture process on Wikimedia Commons, and have lately been struggling against media in a similar vein.

It has been suggested that the Commons user community is a bit more stocked with some of the more, uh, socially challenged editors than other wikis are. I know David Gerard has complained about this in the past on other lists.

I attribute this to the nature of editing there, which is often less collaborative and parallel than solitary and serial.

It does seem, sometimes, like users who can and do do useful work but too frequently rub others the wrong way gravitate to working on Commons if they don't eventually leave altogether.

Daniel Case