[Gendergap] Why do we want more women on the Wikimedia Projects?( was: Introduction and some thoughts)

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 05:25:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Sarah Stierch <sarah at sarahstierch.com> wrote:

> Why should they?
>

> I really like that Delphine asked this simple question. I admit, it popped
> into my head as I scanned through emails talking about even the articles
> that women have "interest" in editing.
>
> The fact that people would make a judgement calls and declare that women are
> into editing fashion articles, etc, is really bizarre to me. The first
> articles I ever edited were about European new wave bands, nor have I ever
> edited an article about make-up, children, "women's issues" or soap operas
> ;)
>
> And to broaden the question, why is it that we want more women to edit
> Wikipedia?
> What does it bring?
> What is missing if they don't?
>

> "What does it bring?" "What is missing if they don't?"
>
> These are very valid questions, I also fear that stereotypes and bad
> "scientific studies" will be brought out to discuss it. It's like asking
> "why aren't African American editors editing African American topics?"

Does your home wikipedia has no WP:COI?

/me ducks

But seriously that is a part of why we'd like more women; not only
gender issues but also anything edited by male dominant editorship
would remain in their male systematic bias, so we'd like more women.
Likewise in the ideal world, we could say African American topics
should not be edited by African American alone and that African
American are expected to edit not only African American topics.

Cheers,

> All legit, but, just makes me a little nervous..
>
> Sarah
> --
> Sarah Stierch Consulting
> Historical, cultural & artistic research, advising & event planning.

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp