[Gendergap] Introducing Myself

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 11:53:29 UTC 2011

Hi. I'm Angela Beesley Starling. I've been involved with Wikipedia for
almost 8 years.

I created the WikiChix.org mailing list in 2006. This was a list just
for females to join. The idea was it might encourage women to post
when they weren't comfortable publishing on a public mailing list,
especially if they felt their posts were being met with sexist
to see a new list dedicated to gender issues which I hope will revive
this area of discussion.

I'm also interested in the gender gap on wikis other than Wikipedia.
On Wikia we have some wikis where the majority of readers are female
but not yet good stats on what proportion of editors on those sites
are female.

Angela