[Gendergap] What are the Poles, Slovenes, Russians and Portuguese doing right in regards to the gender gap?

Kevin Gorman kgorman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 02:56:01 UTC 2011

This data is interesting, but even if you ignore the weirdness introduced
by gender localization and small sample sizes, it doesn't compare directly
to the gender numbers that came out of the editor surveys.  I don't have
actual statistics on it but going from memory I'm almost positive that the
software settings indicate a consistently higher proportion of women than
men than direct surveys like editor trends do. This tool can't provide enWP
stats and I don't know them offhand, you can look at other en projects to
get an idea of how different the numbers reported this way are from the
numbers reported directly by survey.  This tool has enWikiversity reporting
~20% women, enWikibooks ~16%, and enWikisource ~17% - all significantly
higher %'s than have been found using other methods.  So, instead of
ptWikiversity reporting 21% women vs the 8.5% you would expect
enWikiversity to have going off of this year's survey results, it would be
~21% vs ~20%.

This is certainly something worth exploring and I am certain that there are
language community based differences in gender ratios, but it is good to be
aware of the limitations of the dataset.

It would be very interesting though if the Portuguese communities really do
have more balanced gender ratios than the English ones do, since I've heard
some interesting things about their community.

----
Kevin Gorman
User:Kgorman-UCB