[Gendergap] Cause and effect research - gender and diversity in Wikipedia

Karen Sue Rolph karenrolph at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:23:37 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I have just completed (teaching) a (California - Bay Area) college Wikipedia 'workshop' class, intended to: 1) encourage women and more culturally diverse communities to engage with Wikipedia, and 2) to help us all better understand participation disparity among females and more culturally diverse groups.

Data are qualitative and quantitative, taken from direct feedback and participation.  I will also make use of formal student evaluations.  While students faced challenges in deletions and process, I believe they came away wiser, and most of us agree overseeing Wikipedians accomplish the goal aimed at high quality contributing.  We all gradually learn how that is defined, it is iterative, and holds promise.  The Ambassador Program, generally, works well too.

I welcome correspondence on relevant topics,

Karen Sue Rolph, PhD