[Foundation-l] WikiData and Football, WikiData and OpenGovernmentData, 2.9 Mio Eur from European tax payers

andreas meier meier.andi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 23:14:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

Through reports in the German Television I was made aware of the WikiData
project. This sounds really interesting. I could also find the press
announcement online. There was a reference to the European Union Project,
which seemed to be instrumental to kick this off: http://render-project.eu,
and I was surprised that such diverse entities were behind this: Google in
Ireland, Telefonica in Spain, KIT University in Germany, SIT University in
Austria, JSI University in Slovenia, and Ontotext from Bulgaria. The budget
of Render is 4.4 Mio Eur, and the contribution from European taxpayers is
2.9 Mio Eur.

I also saw the first year presentation:
http://render-project.eu/resources/presentations/project-review-year-1, and
am wondering if and how the following use cases fit into the project.

1. Open Goverment Data
There is a German Wikipedia article about this:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Government_Data. And also a website
explaining it a little more: http://opengovernmentdata.org/.
Will there be any liason of WikiData with Open Goverment Data?

2. Sports Results
When I tried to edit Wikipedia first, i wanted to update some sports
results of my favoured football club F.C. Barcelona. Unfortunately I
failed. I failed as well to copy from another language, the table syntax
was too complicated and it somehow seems to differ from one languate
version to the other. Will WikiData address current sports results,
updating it and make it available for all language versions of Wikipedia?

With best regards,

Andi.