[Foundation-l] Board Resolutions from March 30th 2012

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:17:46 UTC 2012

I just sent this to internal-l, because I hadn't seen this thread.
This discussion should, of course, happen in public, so I'll repeat
myself here:

Thank you very much for this prompt announcement. I am glad to see the
WMF board is open to some fundraising by chapters, but I would
appreciate some more detail on what you intend to happen over the next
3 years.

It sounds like the intention is that having a small number of chapters
fundraise is an experiment and what happens after 2015 will depend on
the results of that experiment. Is that an accurate interpretation?
Will the parameters of that experiment be spelt out somewhere?

The Wikimedia movement has a tendency to run trials and experiments
without any clear planning and the result is invariably that nobody
knows what to do at the end because we haven't actually collected the
information we need and we aren't clear on what questions we were
actually trying to find answers to. Can you provide some assurance
that the same thing isn't going to happen here?