[Foundation-l] resolution on voting transparency

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:56:25 UTC 2012

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:03:55 +0200
> From: phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com>
>        <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] resolution on voting transparency

> During the Board of Trustees meeting today we passed a resolution on
> Trustee voting transparency:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Board_of_Trustees_Voting_Transparency
>
> asking that in future resolutions we publish the names of trustees
> with their votes for each resolution.
>
> best,
> Phoebe
>

> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at> gmail.com *
>

> ------------------------------

That's a very welcome move, and I hope it helps build bridges back to the
community. From time to time we will have very divisive issues to discuss,
and in such situations it is much easier for the "losing" side in the
community if they can see that their voice was heard on the board, as
opposed to the board appearing to make a monolithic decision. In the
current arrangements it can sometimes seem that the community is divided
and the board is on one side of that divide. It will be much healthier for
the movement if the board takes a majority decision in scenarios where the
community is divided.

Sometimes it may even be worthwhile to record why the board minority
dissented.

Regards

WereSpielChequers