[Foundation-l] What 'movement role' for Esperanto?

Joan Goma jrgoma at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:29:55 UTC 2012

> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:18:04 +0100
> From: Ziko van Dijk <vandijk at wmnederland.nl>
>        <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] What 'movement role' for Esperanto?

> == What movement role for Esperanto? ==
>
> So what can the new kinds of Wikimedia organizations, discussed about
> under the expression ?movement roles?, mean for Esperanto? Actually
> the Esperantists could become an affiliated in all of the three new
> kinds:
>
> * A thematic organization: E at I, or a newly founded organization, could
> become a thematic organization of Wikimedia with similar rights and
> duties as the territorial chapters.
>
> * A Wikimedia group: E at I or even just a number of Esperantists listed
> on Esperanto Wikipedia could form a Wikimedia group. It could get the
> right to use the logo without especially asking WMF for permission,
> and ask some money from WMF for a flyer or similar expenses.
>
> * An Official Partner of Wikimedia: E at I or the World Esperanto
> Association could become a partner.
>
> I have talked to some Esperanto Wikipedians, some are enthusiast about
> a thematic organization, others not. One important question is how
> much (extra) work being a Wikimedia affiliate would cost.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko

 I think the best way to proceed is to consider first what they want a do.
Then see what tool best fit for the job. All these models are to work
offline. For example assumes that they are considering:

* Contact networks and organizations around the esperanto and organize
workshops on editing Wikipedia.
* Contact schools and universities where they teach Esperanto and organize
educational activities based on the translation of Wikipedia articles
between Esperanto and other languages​​.
* Contact autohors of Esperanto teaching materials. Ask them to release the
material they have under free licences and help them to create textbooks in
wikibooks in different languages​​.
* Contact foundations and charities that support the esperanto asking them
funding to do the activities above.

The first step is to see if there is a group of people with time and
inclination to do this job. If there is they could start working as a
Wikimedia group. To the extent that they grow and get meaningful results
then thinking about going for a Thematic Organization can be the next step.

My answer about the (extra) work is that if the activities are wel done
then the only job is for the program of activities. No (extra) work should
apear by being an affiliate because the requested requirements should arise
naturally from the activities wel done and well finished: Reports of
activities, if handled money transparent information ...

 Having a recognition more than doing (extra) work should be a recognition
of doing (god) work aligned with the mission vision a and values of the
movement and granting them tools to facilitate this work.