[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Video codecs and mobile

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:32:30 UTC 2012

Am 22.03.2012 16:41, schrieb David Gerard:
> On 22 March 2012 15:39, Bod Notbod<bodnotbod at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I can't say I find that a particularly exciting prospect. Especially
>> not, as perhaps I wrongly conjure from context given by this
>> discussion, video shot on mobile phones.
>> I'm picturing wonky-cam, shakey footage that someone has taken walking
>> down a less than visually impressive sidewalk.
>> I think I would find Google Street view a lot more useful and engaging
>> as it gives me a means to explore and decide where I'm 'looking'.
>
> True. But I do think it'd be an improvement on nothing, and will get
> better with time.
>

> - d.
I would be in favour of such a proposal if it is not a one way road.
Every video uploaded (no matter what the original format is) should be
available in a free video format. For mobile phones it could still
provide a h264 version for playback. But the more interesting part would
be the licensing conditions for h264, which could be just a grave for money.

nya~