[Foundation-l] User talk templates

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 22 09:53:47 UTC 2012

On 03/22/12 1:37 AM, En Pine wrote:
> First, has anyone thought about automatically adding a welcome message to the user’s talk page when they first register, not only for EN but also for Commons, Simple, and other projects? Currently we require a human to do this, which means that lots of people seem not to get welcome messages which could contain useful information, and perhaps a link to the Teahouse for EN users. Could we implement an automated post to a user’s talk page that gives the user links to WP:WELCOME, WP:HELP, the Teahouse, and/or other similar resources as soon as the user has registered?

This is a terrible idea, on a par with automated telephone messages
which ask you to make selections by number.

The other point is that many new registrants never edit at all, or they
may be vandals or spammers.  Let them make their intentions clear before
welcoming them.  The welcome should show that we are aware of exactly
what they have done, and thank them for doing so even if it's only a
simple spelling correction.

Ray