[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Fwd: Announcement: New editor engagement experiments team!

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 22:57:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> And it turns out the new editors often assume the templates are
> completely bot-generated.
>
> That is: the editors using templates are, literally, failing the Turing
> test.
>

> > I know the solution is not
> > to just stop using templates.
>

> I think it should be given serious consideration. I realise why
> Twinkle and Huggle exist, but they turn Wikipedia into a first-person
> shooter with the newbies as the targets. I suggest that this is not
> the sort of gamification that is useful.

If anyone wants to help work on these template-related issues, Maryana and
I are still in the midst of work on this in a couple wikis...  I don't want
to flood the thread with a report on its status, but let me know if you
want to join in our not-so-secret effort to make the current user talk
template system more human.

Steven