[Foundation-l] [Wiki-research-l] Motivations to Contribute to Wikipedia

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:15:55 UTC 2012

Dario Taraborelli <dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org> wrote:

>... due to the lack of a formal policy, the RCom has never been
> in a position to grant any kind of "definitive approval" to recruit
> participants....

I appreciate that clarification, but it strictly contradicts this edit from
11 days ago:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Subject_recruitment&diff=3546474&oldid=2703471

about which Dario said, "I appreciate the documentation on the
review procedure" at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Subject_recruitment

I think there are some very serious ethical issues here.  Requiring
Research Committee approval to contact editors or users was
explicitly rejected by the Research Committee:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Committee/Meetings/Meeting_2010-09-18/Log

As far as I can tell, the Research Committee has not discussed the
topic since.

I wonder what the community thinks of this new requirement.

Sincerely,
James Salsman