[Foundation-l] Draft charter of the Wikimedia Chapters Association

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:02:42 UTC 2012

Hmmm, whilst I certainly sympathise with the factions that prompted this, I
have to agree with Nathan that it is a saddening thing to see.

Governments are stifling, and this unfortunately is what appears to be
being proposed.

I recall a comment one of my favourite professors used to make which was:

"Once you start capitalising more than two words per sentence, you have a
bureaucracy. Avoid!"

One of the critical problems with our movement is that it provides little
avenue for fresh faces and individuals to disrupte the status quo. And the
charter, as I read it, makes much the same mistake.

The cool thing about English Wikipedia (where I am active) is that although
you do have the ingrained bureaucratic bodies - into whom being elected is
naturally difficult. You are able to quite quickly disrupt* the community -
if you have good ideas.

Obviously Chapters (and indeed the Foundation) have to have certain legal
frameworks and structures to meet the requirements of their host country.
But there is no reason for internal organisation to emulate that - and,
indeed, many reasons not to!

One reason we work so well as a community is because we reject that
traditional way of organisation (with charters, elections, etc.). And one
of our key failings tends to be when we do adhere to the "outer world"
forms of organisation.

I think such a council is a good idea.

I think a body that can push back at the foundation, constructively, is
great (which is, I understand, the point).

I think that pooling our collective "power" as Chapters is a good move.

But I don't think this is a good way to do it.

I think it is still too heavy.

What I would recommend is something disruptive; for a Chapter to host a
wiki independent of the Foundation. Keep it open and collaborative, build
on the idea of consensus discussions - make sure everyone who is a member
of a chapter can comment. Work hard to make sure everything Chapter related
gets some input there - and each year elect a couple
of spokespersons responsible for summarising the "Chapter Council's"
thoughts on issues and communicating that to the foundation and the wider
communities.

That is how it should be done IMO.

Tom

* My terminoglogy is embedded in the "startup" culture - where disruption
is considered a good thing, in moderation :) obviously trolls, vandals and
jerks cause another form of disruption....