[Foundation-l] Karen Christensen on encyclopedias

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:48:27 UTC 2012

For another take on encyclopedias & EB -- Karen Christensen, who is a
lovely person, fan of Wikipedia and the head of Berkshire publishing,
which publishes specialty encyclopedias, has a few blog posts up:
http://www.berkshirepublishing.com/blog/

I thought this was especially interesting:

"An article in the New York Times today, “After 244 Years,
Encyclopaedia Britannica Stops the Presses,” has got everyone excited
because they think this is news. But Britannica has been giving up
print for as long as I’ve been in the reference business, over 15
years. There was a time in the ’90s when the buzz was that there would
not be another print EB, but on and on it went, with new owners and
new strategies....
Please keep in mind that EB is an encyclopedia of a type – massively
“everything about everything.” There are other kinds of encyclopedia,
which have different uses."

cheers,
phoebe

<at> gmail.com *