[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 07:51:30 UTC 2012

On 14 March 2012 07:33, rupert THURNER <rupert.thurner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did use a very old "konversationslexikon" as a child, mainly for the
> pictures. With our children this got replaced now by online resources. And
> no, not by wikipedia, but by YouTube. And every time I spend 15 minutes to
> find a video to illustrate something it makes me a little sad that we as a
> group are not able to do it better and create something which would save my
> time to search for it.

My daughter is 4yo and dinosaur-mad. THANK YOU WIKIPEDIA FOR EXISTING.
(I haven't broken the news to her yet that dinosaurs probably didn't
actually go "RAWRRRR!" She does know lots of them had feathers, and
that birds are a type of dinosaur.)

She's also madly into interesting fish (a side-effect of watching The
Octonauts on CBeebies), and I love the fact that I can go onto YouTube
and find a minute-long amateur video of pretty much any fish that's
videoable. So what we need is to encourage those people to put their
amateur videos under a free licence.

- d.