[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Béria Lima berialima at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 05:16:18 UTC 2012

My answers to Phoebe questions.  (I tryed to keep it short to not create a
lot of problems to read, if you need a bigger version you can ask me) :)

> *I've been asked to write a short editorial about this development from a
> Wikipedian's perspective and am curious about (and would love to include)
> other Wikimedian experiences -- did you use print encyclopedias as a kid?
> *

Yes. My school had the 15th Edition of
Britannica<http://Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica#1974.E2.80.931994>and I
do remember I used them a lot to learn about pretty much
everything... At some time I even developed the crazy idea of read the full
colletion. I gave up in the middle of book 2, but still was a very fun
thing to do ;)

*Was a love of print encyclopedias part of your motivation or interest in
> becoming a Wikipedian?
> *

I guess in part it was. I had the habit of start every single school
project by looking into Britannica to get the basis for the job, and that
is pretty much what leads me to Wikipedia (an paper on a subject Britannica
doesn't had and I was forced to look online for it)

*Is there any value in them still? Will you miss it?*

I will actually look for a copy of the 15th edition (for sentimental
reasons) to buy before they get too rare and too expensive :D Of course I
will miss it! If Britannica is gone we will need to start printing
Wikipedia ;-)
_____
*
*

*[image: Inline images 1]*

*Béria Lima*

* *

* Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.*

 *Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.* <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>**

*