[Foundation-l] Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 14 02:51:57 UTC 2012

On 14/03/12 11:22, phoebe ayers wrote:
> I've been asked to write a short editorial about this development from
> a Wikipedian's perspective and am curious about (and would love to
> include) other Wikimedian experiences -- did you use print
> encyclopedias as a kid? Was a love of print encyclopedias part of your
> motivation or interest in becoming a Wikipedian? Is there any value in
> them still? Will you miss it?

We didn't have an Encyclopedia Britannica at home, it would have been
much too expensive. However, we did have a 20-year-old copy of the
World Book Encyclopedia, which was a hand-me-down from relatives whose
children had left home. I used to take a random volume to my room for
a week at a time, and leaf through the pages, looking for interesting
articles.

I wouldn't say that the print encyclopedia was part of my motivation
for becoming a Wikipedian. I just have an appetite for general
knowledge that was served by both. I don't miss print encyclopedias:
today's internet is far better for satisfying my curiosity than any
encyclopedia.

-- Tim Starling