[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status - the image filter disguised under a new label

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:11:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>wrote:

> on 3/12/12 11:43 AM, Nathan at nawrich at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > The "bible belt" phrase that some people throw around in this discussion
> is
> > just a stand-in for anti-Americanism and a sign of profound ignorance.
> It's
> > best ignored, along with the people who use it.
>
> Nathan, how on earth do you equate the phrase "bible belt" with
> anti-Americanism?
>
> Marc Riddell

Because of the context in which it is used in image-filter / controversial
content discussions. It's a pejorative throw-away, a way for people to
dismiss concerns about controversial content as the province of parochial
Americans clutching Bibles. Even when the phrase "bible-belt" isn't used,
it's a pretty common tactic in this debate to ascribe support for the image
filter to a sort of moral imperialism or lack of a cosmopolitan ethic.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
> wrote:
Hoi,
In the Netherlands we have our own bible belt.. it is not exclusive to the
USA
Thanks,
   Gerard

Nevertheless, I suspect when the phrase is used in controversial context
discussions, it is not meant to refer to the Netherlands.