[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status - the image filter disguised under a new label

Fae faenwp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:05:16 UTC 2012

On 12 March 2012 16:34, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You got this the wrong way round, mate. All those pictures of dicks and
> arseholes are preventing people from learning what they might want to
> learn, because actual worthwhile knowledge is crowded out by all the dicks
> and arseholes.
>
> There is more things to learn about the human male than that it has a dick
> and an arsehole. If I have to wade through 100 photographs of Wikimedians'
> dicks and arseholes to find
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Study_of_a_Male_Figure_Seen..._-_Sir_Peter_Paul_Rubens.png
> then
> perhaps we have our priorities slightly back to front.

Strangely enough, searching Commons for "Male figure" rather than
"Male human" shows me artwork from the National Museum of African Art
and a Michelangelo Buonarroti sketch from the Louvre in top matches.
No problem with wading through "100 dicks and arseholes". In fact,
carefully checking through the first 100 matches of that search gave
me no explicit photographs of naked people or their private parts at
all.

Having a better optimized search engine is the issue here, not
filtering all images of body parts. Commons has over 10,000,000
images, having several hundred images of human genitals is not to be
unexpected, or a reason to give up on collaboration and turn to
extremes of lobbying multiple authorities and newspapers with claims
that the WMF is promoting paedophilia with the side effect of fuelling
well known internet stalkers to harass staff and users.

Fae