[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Scholarship in Medicine

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:07:48 UTC 2012

Seven month ago we at Wikimedia Canada offered a $1000 CAD scholarship to
be awarded to the Canadian university student who made the most significant
contribution to a disease related article on Wikipedia. The scholarship was
promoted using posters placed up at a number of Universities as well as
presentations at two Canadian universities. While the efforts garnered some
positive press as document here
http://wikimedia.ca/wiki/Wikimedia_Canada:About there where no serious
applicants. I am unsure why. It could possibly be related to Canadian
students being sufficiently wealthy that this was insufficient funding to
peak their interest. I am unsure if it would be worth offering it globally
next year or expanding those who can apply to high school students as well?
Anyway some though for those who consider trying something similar.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian